The challenge here was to come up with a concoction that can take the place of eggnog. It cannot contain eggs. dairy, cinnamon, ginger, gluten, almond milk or cashew milk. The recipe makes 1 cup of vegan eggnog. You can free-style this recipe to suit your personal tastes. See Elisa-Safe food allergy list here.
This is a Gluten Free Vegan recipe.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
- 1 cup Coconut Milk I use Silk coconut milk. If you want a richer eggnog, you can use cans of coconut milk.
- 2-3 T Tapioca Flour
- 3 tsp Brown Sugar If you like a lighter colored eggnog, use white sugar
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Allspice
- Whisk all ingredients together in a saucepan or in a microwave safe bowl (I used a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup). Initially, use 2 T tapioca flour. If you want a thicker consistency, add the rest of the tapioca flour when you put the eggnog in the blender.
- When the eggnog has been whisked smoothing & there are no little lumps of tapioca flour, heat the eggnog. There are 2 heating options:
- Heating Option 1) Heat in a saucepan, over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring almost to a boil & remove from heat. Keep stirring (or whisking) until the mixture cools down from hot to warm.
- Heating Option 2) With the eggnog in a microwave safe container, heat on high in the microwave for 1.5 - 2 minutes. Don't take your eyes off the eggnog as it might foam up & over the container if it's in too long. (That mess would seriously suck) Remove the eggnog and stir (or whisk) until the mixture cools down from hot to warm.
- Once the eggnog has cooled, pour in blender and blend on high for about 30 seconds.
- At this point, taste test the eggnog. If you want to thicken it, add the remaining 1 T tapioca flour & blend again for 30 seconds.
- Poor the eggnog into a airtight container & refrigerate.
- If you want a foamier eggnog, blend again right before serving. Poor into a glass or mug & sprinkle nutmeg on top.